6 and 60

This is an exciting year for two reasons. I finish 6 years in America and my home , my country passes 60 years of being the largest secular multiparty democracy in the world. Exactly six years ago , just past midnight 14th august , I boarded a plane to leave Indian soil , then in a world and continent unknown to me and dreams mixed with sorrow of knowing that life would never be the same again. Exactly 60 years ago , Nehru spoke in his infanous speech on august 14th at the Red Fort , that at the stroke of midnight India will rise as a nation while the world slept.

I spend the first few hours of my Indian Independence day at Milan Airport , still reeling over the fact that I would never be living with my parents and fanily. the sight of my mum and dad seeing me off to the airport the last time was just unbearable.This is despite the fact that since the age of 8 I have lived away from them in a hostel with boys till about 10th grade. That has also strengthened my bond with my parents , although the distance since that age has made us much more incompatible with ideas that were so much home grown.

Comments

Popular Posts